Keselowski wins battle with Kyle Busch for first Martinsville victory

first_img“All we did was put four tires on it, and it went to junk,” Busch said. “I hate it for our guys. They’ve deserved all year much better finishes than what we’ve been able to produce, and here’s another one today. Just a frustrating season so far, but we give it everything we got. We do all we can with what we’re given at the particular time and try to execute and do a good job. Yes, that’s right, a Ford. The car maker found Victory Lane at the .526-mile short track for the first time since Oct. 20, 2002, when Kurt Busch won at NASCAR’s oldest and smallest premier series track in a Roush Fenway Racing Ford. Keselowski and runner-up Kyle Busch swapped the lead during the final 64-lap green-flag run, with Busch taking the point on Lap 444 of 500, and Keselowski powering back past Busch’s No. 18 Toyota on Lap 458. From that point, Keselowski pulled away to win by 1.806 seconds, as Busch lost the long-run speed he had demonstrated for most of the afternoon. Fourteen cautions for 95 laps punctuated an action-filled afternoon that featured remarkable comebacks, perfect weather, Ford board member and namesake Edsel Ford II in the pace car and a tire combination that started to open up the outside lane and facilitate passing on the high side. “I don’t like to keep trophies at my house, but this one’s going to my house. That’s how special it is.” RELATED: Keselowski brings home a clock  | Keselowski celebrates with fansThe victory was Keselowski’s 23rd in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, and it vaulted him into the playoff points lead with 10. In the series standings, Keselowski leaves Martinsville in fourth place, 34 points behind leader Kyle Larson and 30 behind second-place Chase Elliott, who parlayed a front-row starting position into a third-place finish. Coming to the green/checkers on Lap 260, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., who had just been lapped, gave race leader Kyle Busch a couple of sharp taps with his bumper, sending Busch toward the top of the track. Elliott powered to the inside off Turn 4, edging Busch for the stage win at the stripe.RELATED: See the contact at the end of Stage 2 | Updated stage points Austin Dillon ran fifth, posting his first top-five finish since a fourth-place run at Bristol last August. “My pit crew did great today. (Crew chief) Adam (Stevens) and the guys did an awesome job on this car this weekend to get it to where it was. We were lights out faster than those guys after 20 laps or so. There on that run it was at minimum at least three tenths slower the entire time, and that’s why Brad just was able to drive away there at the end. We were really really, really struggling. I’m surprised I held off the 24 (Elliott), but you know, overall, just not quite getting the finishes we need.” RELATED: Busch frustrated with second-place finishMartin Truex Jr. won the first stage to bring his playoff point total to nine, second only to Keselowski. By the end of Stage 2, which featured a 119-lap green-flag run, the intensity had ratcheted up considerably.center_img “This is awesome,” said Keselowski, the season’s first two-time winner. “We’ve ran so good here with the Miller Lite Ford, but something always happens and we haven’t been able to bring it home. Martinsville is just one of those champions’ tracks. The guys that run well everywhere run well here, and it’s really just an honor to win here and get to compete here.  RELATED: Race results | Standings | Detailed breakdown SHOP: Keselowski gearMARTINSVILLE, Va. – In Sunday’s STP 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Martinsville Speedway, everything worked – but nothing more than Brad Keselowski’s race-winning No. 2 Ford. Keselowski had to overcome his own challenges. A speeding penalty under caution on lap 72 sent him to the rear of the field, but pit strategy – staying out under yellow on Lap 109 – got him back to the front. Joey Logano, Keselowski’s Team Penske teammate, overcame both a pit road penalty and a cut tire that put him two laps down to finish fourth. Busch, who led a race-high 274 laps to Keselowski’s 116, was disappointed that the performance of his Camry fell off after his final pit stop. “This track is 70 years old and a lot of legends have won here. It feels great to be able to join them and bring home a (grandfather) clock (trophy). A lot of people don’t know this, but those clocks are built in my hometown in Rochester Hills, Michigan, so it’s cool to get one of them from back home. I have one as a truck owner, but not as a driver, so I’m glad to bring one back as a driver… But Keselowski and Busch dominated the proceedings from then on, with Keselowski winning the clock and Ford finding the winner’s circle after a 28-race drought at the vaunted short track.</p>last_img read more

There’s Still Help For Those Who Need It

first_imgSelf-isolation can heighten existing or bring on new struggles for families.In this time of crisis amid the COVID-19 pandemic, and with April being national Sexual Assault Awareness Month, The Retreat, L.I. Against Domestic Violence, and others remain open for anyone in need of assistance.“Survivors of domestic violence may be experiencing increased isolation and danger caused by confinement during the pandemic,” said The Retreat executive director Loretta Davis. “Survivors often have specific needs around safety, health, and confidentiality. We also realize that people who are already more vulnerable to economic and health insecurity are facing additional challenges during this unprecedented time. The Retreat is ready to help.”The agency has taken extra steps to ensure clients are supported and access is maintained. The 24-hour hotline is still operational, with access in multiple languages, and counselors are available for phone sessions.“Advocates are working remotely with clients and the courts,” Davis said. “These times are particularly stressful to survivors because their safety is at risk as they may be isolated with increased control of the abuser. Orders of protection are still being granted by courts and enforced. Our emergency shelter also remains operational, with safety protocols in place.”Many administrative functions are being done by employees working from home. With life stressful for many right now, The Retreat emphasizes having many different emotions is normal, and there’s always someone to talk to through the organization’s social support services. The main office can be reached at 631-329-4398. Leave a message and someone will return the call shortly. The Retreat can also be reached via email at [email protected] The deaf victim’s protection crisis line is 1-321-800-3323.“While we can’t change what’s going on in the world, we can make a difference,” Davis said. “For those who have suffered from abuse, the issues do not pause or take a break even during the declared national emergency for COVID-19. In fact, those issues may become more difficult to manage.”Round Swamp Farm donated food to The Retreat, and Pepperoni’s has also fed clients and staff. The Retreat board member Vivienne Keegan has put her sewing skills to use by making face masks for the shelter residents, staff, and community members in need.“She made magic from a pile of fabric and elastic bands,” The Retreat said in a statement. “A skill that not all of us have.” Domestic Violence HotlineL.I. Against Domestic Violence’s hotline also continues to be a free, confidential resource for survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault and their loved ones. “We are working to ensure that survivors of abuse know that social distancing and isolation does not mean you are alone,” the organization said in a statement. “All of our non-residential programs are operating remotely and our shelter is open. We continue to provide lifesaving services for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.” L.I. Against Domestic Violence’s 24-hour call center can be reached at 631-666-8833. Residents can still get orders of protection here too, and access to the Safe Harbor Shelter, the first of its kind in Suffolk County, founded in 1983. It provides a safe haven exclusively for victims and their children who are fleeing their homes to escape domestic violence and have limited or no other safe options. Safety planning and any other questions or concerns can also be addressed via the hotline. “This crisis calls for staying at home as its best defense, and we know that this increases the risk for the women, men, and children that we serve,” L.I. Against Domestic Violence said. “Increased time with the person who inflicts emotional or physical abuse combined with increased isolation is a formula for disaster.” Domestic violence cases spiked 10 percent in Nassau County since the beginning of the year according to the county’s police department. It has received 2825 reports of domestic violence between January 1 and March 23, up from 2552 during the same period in 2019. County officials said March 24 that it’s due, in part, to personal and financial stresses caused by COVID-19. Sgt. Kelly Lynch, commander of the Suffolk County Police Department’s Domestic Violence and Elder Abuse Unit, said she has not seen a marked increase in reports. The organization said it’s still been receiving many calls from individuals concerned about loved ones. “We have encouraged them to reach out to their friends and family members, to stay in touch, and let them know they are still there,” a statement read. “During this crisis, while our days are filled with ensuring clients can access safety options, figuring out new technology, and keeping up with the advice of experts in stopping the spread of the virus, we also pause to count our blessings and to think of you and your loved ones.” L.I. Against Domestic Violence executive director Colleen Merlo shared some stress relief techniques, saying she’s found herself awake in the early hours of the morning because of the weight of the novel coronavirus and the resulting unpredictable future. “In order for us to get through this current situation, stronger, we need to do that together, so that might be sharing a joke or a recipe online, or calling a friend,” Merlo said. “Limit time watching or reading about COVID-19, schedule worry time, meditate every day, exercise daily, set a schedule, eat healthy foods, and practice gratitude. The stress everyone is feeling is normal, and we will get through thistogether.”Alcoholics AnonymousAlcohol abuse sparked by the pandemic is also a factor in the increased domestic violence cases, according to Nassau County Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder. Many groups have alerted local Alcoholics Anonymous offices or hotlines of not meeting in regular spaces. Some groups have shared they are utilizing digital platforms like Zoom or Google Hangouts, or conductingconference calls. “As the global situation related to COVID-19 continues to develop, we are fully committed to continue to serve as a resource center of shared experience to help navigate this unprecedented public health emergency,” the organization said in a letter. “By attending digital meetings, groups can focus on A.A.’s primary purpose: to carry its message of recovery to the alcoholic who still suffers.” A.A. groups are also creating contact lists, keeping in touch by phone, email, or social media. Many local A.A. central/intergroup offices and areas have added information to their websites about how to change a meeting format from in-person to a digital platform.Other Resources:New York’s free mental health counseling hotline: 1-844-863-9314United Way’s 211 Long Island: Dial 211 from any 631 or 516 area code phone number or go to www.211longisland.orgSubstance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s national helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)If you would like to support Retreat families during this challenging time, donate online at www.allagainstabuse.org or text RETREAT to 91999.Hamptons hand-poured driftwood, lilac, and sea breeze candles are also available for $35. Four women are running the New York City Marathon in November, under Team Retreat, and all proceeds from the candles are going to the [email protected] Sharelast_img read more

San Miguel moves close to PH Cup title

first_imgSan Miguel Beermen’s Alex Cabagnot flies up for a shot against the defense of Magnolia Hotshots. Beermen moved up to a 3-1 Finals series lead, closing in on the Philippine Cup title. PBA MANILA – San Miguel Beermen survived a last-minute run by Magnolia Hotshots to escape with an 84-80 win in Game 4 of the PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven Finals on Wednesday night at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.After its 82-75 lead got whittled down to 82-80 with conversions from Hotshots’ Ian Sangalang, Beermen got a steal from Andy Mark Barroca that led to two free throws from Arwind Santos and raised the lead 84-80 with 2.2 seconds left.Alex Cabagnot led the way with 26 points while Marcio Lassiter chipped in with 18 markers for Beermen, which moved closer to its fourth straight All-Filipino title with its 3-1 series lead.June Mar Fajardo – who was handed his sixth PBA Best Player of the Conference trophy – had double-double 16 points and 13 rebounds while Santos had 13 markers and 11 boards for Beermen. “These players showed the heart of a champion. They know how to win,” Beermen head coach Leo Austria said.Hotshots had a strong start in the opening period behind Rome dela Rosa for a 20-14 lead. This grew to as high as 9 points but Beermen rallied back behind Cabagnot to cut the deficit 45-46 at the half.Hotshots continued to hang on to the lead early in the third period after back-to-back treys from Barroca but Beermen snatched the lead 69-64 on consecutive outside shots from Lassiter and Santos.Beermen pulled to a 71-64 lead early in the fourth after an inside basket by Fajardo but Hotshots rallied to within 74-77 on baskets from Sangalang. A triple by Lassiter and two free throws from Cabagnot gave Beermen an 82-77 lead with under two minutes in the game.Sangalang led the way with double-double 22 points and 11 rebounds while dela Rosa and Barroca had 15 and 14 points, respectively, for Hotshots. Veteran Paul Lee was a disappointment anew with just 9 points on 4-of-15 shooting./PNlast_img read more