Children Hurt in Connecticut Amusement Park Accident

first_imgNORWALK, Connecticut – Connecticut police say one adult and 12 children were taken to hospitals after an amusement ride malfunctioned at a fair, sending riders crashing into each other. (Sept. 9)last_img

Chinese version of CryoVation goes live

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Manchester paralegal banned for stealing £294,000 from firm

first_imgThe Solicitors Regulation Authority has moved to bar a paralegal found to have stolen around £294,000 from his firm.According to an SRA notice published this week, Paul Young stole the money during the four-and-a-half years he was employed to work in the Manchester office of Berrymans Lace Mawer. It was not explained how the misconduct happened or how it was detected.The SRA said Young, who left the firm in 2019 and whose current employment status is unknown, had acted dishonestly and should no longer be involved in a legal practice. He was made subject to a section 43 order preventing him from working for any law firm without SRA permission. He must also pay the SRA’s £600 costs.Following publication of the decision, a spokesperson for the firm said: ‘We can confirm that an individual employed by BLM was dismissed last year when it was established that their actions breached both their contract of employment and the SRA’s code of conduct.‘The individual is not a solicitor but their conduct was immediately reported to the SRA. The matter is now the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation. We therefore cannot provide any further comment at this time.’last_img read more

Prime Minister Directs Health Ministry to be ‘more aggressive’ on COVID-19 Education

first_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Share 36 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img The Ministry of Health has been directed to be ‘more aggressive’ with public education exercises. This is in part due to concerns of the Government of Dominica with regard to mass gatherings.According to the government, mass gatherings have consisted of persons who continue to disregard the guidelines and protocols that have been articulated by the Ministry of Health.The Hon. Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit expressed the governments concerns earlier this week.“It is a concern to us and I have certainly directed the Ministry of Health and the Health Promotion Unit to be more aggressive with the public education and public information exercise,” he said, speaking at a press briefing at the Financial Center.Hon Prime Minister of Dominica, Roosevelt SkerritHe added, “I think we have gone cold on this, and we should not only be on the radio with this, we should be out in the communities, at the bars, on the bus stop, on the bus stand.”He put forth that people need to remember that unless the WHO declares that COVID-19 has been contained globally the country is not ‘out of the woods.’“The fact is unfortunately we will see COVID-19 present in the world for the foreseeable future. So, if you think that we are done with COVID-19 for 2020, I think it is going to continue,” he remarked.He made comparison to one country, which he said he received information from, who reported seventy positive cases in a matter of three days. He went on to note that no one knows the true extent of community spread.He continued by saying, “countries that were on complete lock-down and shut down are now reporting community spread in parts of the country; where police stations have been closed and public facilities have been closed you know because it is widespread.” CoronavirusFeaturedLocalNews Prime Minister Directs Health Ministry to be ‘more aggressive’ on COVID-19 Education by: – August 12, 2020 Sharelast_img read more

Florida Gulf Coast advances with 75-67 win over Cowgirls

first_imgTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gulf Coast was the talk of college basketball two years ago when its men’s team advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 and now the women are just a game away from matching that achievement.Kaneisha Atwater scored 26 points and Whitney Knight added 19 points and 10 rebounds Saturday as the 20th-ranked Eagles won their 26th straight game with a 75-67 victory over Oklahoma State in first-round play of the NCAA tournament Saturday.Atwater hit 10 of 17 shots and also grabbed eight rebounds while Knight was 8 of 20 from the floor.“Kaneisha and Whitney had huge scoring games, but the whole team had to step up,” FGCU coach Karl Smesko said. We had a lot of players step up.”Smesko said the men’s team’s run two years ago has been “fantastic” bringing recognition for the school, located on the outskirts of Fort Myers, in southwest Florida.“We’ve been right on the precipice for a long time,” Smesko said. “We know our next game is going to be against one of the very best teams in the country.”FGCU, which led by 17 at 71-54 with 4:37 left, will meet Florida State in Monday’s second round.Jenna Cobb keyed a late 12-0 run that put the game out of reach for Oklahoma State. She hit a 3 and then a short jumper before setting up another trey by teammate Stephanie Haas.It was a sweet win for the Eagles (31-2) who were eliminated in last year’s first round of the NCAA tournament 61-60 in overtime by Oklahoma State. It was also their first win in three tries at the big dance.“To get the first-round win for the first time is definitely an exciting thing,” Smesko said. “It’s nice to get over the hump. Great to see our kids celebrating.”Oklahoma State coach Jim Littell knew coming in that he had matchup problems, especially with the 6-3 Knight who plays guard, but defends and rebounds furiously as well.“Hard to simulate and prepare for a guard like Knight, who created all kinds of matchup problems,” Oklahoma State coach Jim Littell said. “They are better, more seasoned than we are.”Oklahoma State (20-12) was led in scoring by junior guard Roddricka Patton’s career high 23 points. She had scored only 34 points all season entering the game. Patton hit five of eight tries from 3-point distance.“I knew they would leave me open,” Patton said. “I had to knockdown shots to help my team.”Liz Donohoe added 14 points for the Cowgirls, all in the second half.Brittney Martin’s game-high 12 rebounds helped Oklahoma State to a 44-32 advantage on the boards.The Eagles shot 45.2 percent and hit on 34.4 percent from 3-point distance while Oklahoma State shot just 37.1 despite making 8 of 15 from 3-point land.FGCU jumped off to an 11 point lead at 24-13 midway through the first half although Oklahoma State rallied to earn a pair of brief one point advantages late in the half.The Cowgirls closed to within three at 38-35 on a Donohoe jumper with 17:45 remaining, but couldn’t get any closer.TIP-INS:Florida Gulf Coast: The Eagles last loss was nearly four months ago when they lost 90-83 to Ohio State in a double overtime game Nov. 29 at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. Only UConn and Princeton have longer winning streaks.Oklahoma State finished with 20 wins in four straight seasons for the first time in its history.RIM SHOTSOklahoma State had previously played four overtime games in NCAA tournament games.FGCU’s Whitney Knight, the Atlantic Sun Coast Conference Player of the Year, is the only player to lead a conference in 3-point shots and blocked shots.LONG DISTANCEFlorida Gulf Coast kept up its pace shooting 3-pointers, making 11 of 32 in Saturday’s win.Oklahoma State was 8-of-15 from beyond the arc.last_img read more

India batsman Gambhir calls time on playing career

first_img(Reuters) – Former India opening batsman Gautam Gambhir, who won two World Cups and scored over 10,000 international runs, announced his retirement from the sport in a video message on Tuesday. The feisty left-hander has not represented his country since 2016 and said he would play his last game for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy match against Andhra at his home ground Feroz Shah Kotla beginning on Thursday.“After more than 15 years of cricket for my country I want to retire from playing this beautiful game,” Gambhir said in the video on social media.“Despite all the aches and pains; fears and failures I won’t mind a repeat of this in my next life too. But obviously with a few more wins for India, a few more hundreds and in the next life may be a few five-wicket hauls as well.” Gambhir made 58 test appearances for India, scoring 4,154 runs at an average of 41.95 and was a key member of the team that rose to number one in the test rankings in 2009.In one-day internationals, the 37-year-old accumulated 5,238 runs and was India’s top scorer in the 2011 World Cup final victory against Sri Lanka.Gambhir featured in 37 Twenty20 internationals scoring 932 runs, including 75 in the 2007 World Cup final against Pakistan which India won. He also represented Delhi Daredevils and Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League.“The thing that I will miss the most is the camaraderie of an Indian team’s dressing room,” Gambhir added.“It was a wonderful place to be in. Yes, there are pressures of international sport but then when you have team mates like I had these pressures look elementary. “I learnt heaps from each one of them. I’ll miss all of that and more. Thank you guys, you all will be my one, big family… as a batsman I have always valued timing. I know the time is just right. I am sure it’s sweet as well.”last_img read more