156 Views no discussions Share Tweet NewsRegional Police in Jamaica under scrutiny for mishandling dead man’s body by: Caribbean 360 – May 30, 2016 Sharing is caring! Share Share Commissioner of INDECOM, Terrence Williams said it was “disturbing and unacceptable” the manner in which the man’s body was flung into the back of a police vehicle.KINGSTON, Jamaica, Monday May 30, 2016 (Caribbean 360) – Police in Jamaica are being chastised for failing to respect the dead, after a video circulating on social media showed them throwing the body of a man who was killed by officers earlier this month.In a statement issued yesterday, the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) – which probes the actions of members of the security forces and other agents of the State that result in death or injury to persons or the abuse of the rights of persons – criticized the officers who handled the body of John Hibbert following the shooting on May 17.INDECOM said the video showed lawmen callously throwing Hibbert into the back of a police vehicle“What is both disturbing and unacceptable is the manner in which the body of Mr. Hibbert is flung into the back of the vehicle with absolutely no regard or sense of humanity for him. All citizens, irrespective of what they have allegedly done, or who they may be, are entitled to be treated with a measure of respect,” Commissioner of INDECOM, Terrence Williams said.“The removal of the deceased from any crime scene, whether by police officers, ambulance service or mortuary officials is deserving of a level of professionalism, dignity and respect, both for the dead and for those family members and friends who are often present.”Williams added that because officers are not qualified medical personnel and cannot formally pronounce persons dead, they are required to always treat a victim as injured until the official proclamation of death by a qualified person.He said that while the Jamaica Constabulary Force’s Human Rights and Use of Force Policy outlines that assistance and medical aid are rendered to any injured or affected persons at the earliest possible moment, the video did not show that policy was adhered to.The INDECOM chief also expressed concern about the recent trend in which photographs and videos – taken by police officers, or allowed to be taken by them – were being circulated on social media.Williams said INDECOM had received comments and complaints about this trend, and he has urged officers to ensure they act, at all times, “with the utmost professionalism and demonstrate the due respect for citizens and the families of these dead or injured men”.
[av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’Ginebra sets up finals showdown vs San Miguel with Star drubbing’ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=” subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]By ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=’custom’ color=’#0a0a0a’]Wednesday, February 22, 2017[/av_textblock][av_image src=’http://www.panaynews.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/sports-PBA-8-495×400.jpg’ attachment=’97489′ attachment_size=’portfolio’ align=’center’ styling=” hover=” link=” target=” caption=’yes’ font_size=’14’ appearance=’on-hover’ overlay_opacity=’0.4′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_text_color=’#ffffff’ animation=’no-animation’]Kings titan Sol Mercado (3) rallies past the Star Hotshots to pave the way for a Barangay Ginebra San Miguel versus San Miguel Beermen showdown in the 2016-2017 Oppo PBA Philippine Cup finals.PBA [/av_image][av_textblock size=” font_color=’custom’ color=’#0a0a0a’]MANILA – The Barangay Ginebra San Miguel Kings marched into the finals of the 2016-2017 Oppo PBA Philippine Cup with an 89-76 victory over the Star Hotshots in Game 7 of their best-of-seven semifinals on Tuesday at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.Sol Mercado led the way with 23 points, including four three-point conversions, for the Kings, which has set up a best-of-seven titular showdown with defending champion San Miguel Beermen slated to start on Friday.LA Tenorio chipped in 21 points, with three outside hits, while Japeth Aguilar and Earl Scottie Thompson had 19 and 10 points, respectively, for the Kings, which is eyeing its second straight PBA title.The Kings zoomed to an 11-2 start behind hits by Aguilar, Mercado and Joe Devance. The lead grew further to 21-7 on five straight points by Thompson before the Hotshots cut it to 26-16 on back-to-back hits by Mark Barroca.The Hotshots came to within seven early in the second period after a triple by Aldrech Ramos but the Kings managed to pull away anew with three-pointers from Tenorio and Mercado.The Kings maintained the double-digit lead in the third quarter but the Hotshots went on a huge surge behind Jean Marc Pingris and Rafael Reavis to come to within 65-61 at the end of the frame.The Hotshots came to as close as three points early in the final quarter at 68-65 but the Kings quickly widened it to 10 points, 80-67, on consecutive hits from Tenorio, Aguilar and Thompson.The Hotshots had its last push to come to within 82-74 on back-to-back hits by Ramos and Barroca but six straight points from Tenorio sealed the win for the Kings as the lead went up to 13 with just under a minute left in the game.Allein Maliksi top-scored with 22 points, while Pingris and Ramos added 17 and 14 points, respectively, for the Hotshots, which got another sub-par game from Paul Lee, who was held to just four points./PN[/av_textblock][/av_one_full]
THE Unity Cup organised by the Guyana Softball League saw the village of Success staying on top, having defeated their neighbouring village, Better Hope, recently.The weather only allowed two matches to be played. The first saw Success Young Guns displaying an abundance of talent to defeat Strikers by 63 runs.Batting first, Success chalked up 110-9 in their 10 overs with Amit Ramnarine making 20 (2×6) and Asif Mohamed 19 (3×4). Omedat Khemraj was the pick of the bowlers with 2-7When Strikers batted, the wicket seemed to be different, as the Young Guns bowlers were almost unplayable, with all the bowlers contributing. Strikers were eventually bowled out for just 47.In the other match to be played, Enterprise Youths got the better of Better Hope by 41 runs.Enterprise batted first and made 110-3 in 10 overs with Rohan Beepat top scoring with 31 (3×6; 2×4) followed by Gary Andrews with 26 (2×6; 1×4).Better Hope in their turn could only muster 69 all out in 8.4 overs with only Raj Rooplall getting into double figures with 16 (2×4).Rohan Beepat was the pick of the bowlers, claiming 2-5 in 2 overs, supported by Clive Roberts with 2-14.Meanwhile, more areas are expected to get into the action.Additionally, more incentives have been added to the tournament. Prizes will be given for highest score in the tournament and the best bowling figures. In case of more than one person achieving this, all will be given prizes.The tournament will also have programmes beyond the boundaries and fans are urged to take advantage of these opportunities.Incentives include the highest score in the tournament, the best bowling figures and lots more.Teams still have a chance to register and can do so with the following representatives.Berbice- Pinky Arthur – 615-2493; Ravi Ramnarine – 642-1206/ Celeb Morris – ; Upper East Coast – Herman Persaud – 643-3033; Rafman Ally – East Bank/Linden/Lower East Coast/ Georgetown – 654-2233; West Demerara615-2874 – Premnauth Bimchan – 670-9982’ Ravendra Ramgobin- 276-1381;Rawle Higgins- 667-6374; In case teams are unable to contact reps they can call Mortimer Denny on 687-3326; 442-1562.