Cape Town: Ottis Gibson and his entire South African coaching team and management staff have lost their jobs, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Sunday. The decision, taken during a board meeting last week, follows a disastrous South African World Cup campaign in which the Proteas finished seventh of the 10 teams. The clean-out comes shortly before a tour of India next month during which South Africa will play their first three Test matches in the new world Test championship. In a statement, CSA said a football-style team manager would be appointed, who would take charge of all aspects of the national team, including the appointment of a coaching staff, the captain or captains and medical and administrative personnel. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhThe team manager will report directly to a Director of Cricket, a new position. Former South African player Corrie van Zyl, currently in charge of cricket pathways at CSA, will be acting Director of Cricket until a full-time appointment is made. The statement said Van Zyl and CSA chief executive Thabang Moroe would appoint an interim management team for the tour of India as well as an interim selection panel and captain. Faf du Plessis, the current captain, was on Saturday night named South African Cricketer of the Year and it would be a surprise if he was replaced. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterSunday’s statement said none of the current team management, including coaches, would be retained. “This change will herald an exciting new era for the SA cricket and will bring us into line with best practice in professional sport,” said Moroe. Former West Indian player and coach Gibson was appointed South African team coach in 2017. His contract was due to expire next month. Gibson said during the recent Cricket World Cup that he was keen to continue in the job but his prospects plummeted when South Africa were among the first teams to be eliminated from contention for a World Cup semi-final place. Van Zyl, 57, played in one unofficial Test during South Africa’s years of isolation and in two one-day internationals in 1992 following the country’s return to official international cricket. He had a brief spell as South African coach between 2009 and 2011.
CHAPEL ISLAND, N.S. – A Nova Scotia Mi’kmaq community that has dealt for more than a decade with brown and foul-smelling water should see construction begin this summer on a new treatment facility, according to a local official.Quentin Doucette, director of public works for Potlotek First Nation in Cape Breton, said Friday that a new water plant is in the design phase and a tender for the project is expected to be issued by June.“We are going to build a new water plant and replace the water tower that is there and provide a new line from the tower directly to the water plant,” said Doucette. “That is going to be good news.”That news comes for the community of 500 people, formerly known as Chapel Island First Nation, after working with Ottawa on a solution for their water problems for 10 years.High levels of iron and manganese in the lake that serves as the reserve’s main water source has left residents unable to drink, bathe or wash clothes in the water.Doucette said the current plant has outdated technology that is unable to deal with mineral spikes that are most prevalent in late summer and early fall. The problem also resurfaces in the early spring, he said.Health Canada has said there are no known health impacts, and that boiling the water would only further concentrate the minerals. As a result the reserve has often resorted to handing out bottled water to residents and to providing public showering facilities.“It’s a headache,” Doucette said. “For years when you talk to anybody in Health they always say it’s just aesthetics. I said yeah, it’s just aesthetics but it you have brown water coming out of your tap you don’t want to drink it.”Doucette said the cost for a new water plant and tower is around $6 million according to federal estimates, with construction to begin later in the summer.He said the plan is to have the plant ready for use by the end of 2019 or earlier.“It depends on how construction goes,” Doucette said.He said plans will be put in place to ensure limited disruptions to water use by residents during construction.