Conveyancers’ regulator to cut fees

first_imgThe specialist regulator for conveyancers plans to cut regulatory fees for all firms by a fifth, it was announced today.The Council for Licensed Conveyancers said it intends to apply an ‘across the board’ cut of 20% to practice fee rates from 1 November. Rates have been frozen for the past four years. Rates for contribution to the body’s compensation fund ‘will remain flat’.CLC chief executive Sheila Kumar said savings to the regulator’s cost base would ‘begin to be realised’ this year and ‘can be built into our planning for the coming years’.She said: ‘Alongside the review of the CLC’s handbook that is now underway, these changes demonstrate our commitment to ensuring that specialist regulation of specialist property lawyers is as tailored and proportionate as possible so that we continue to support innovation and growth in the sector.’The CLC is expected to consult on fee details in the next few weeks.The announcement comes a month after the CLC’s business plan stated that there would be a review of the regulatory fees framework ‘on the back of reductions in staff numbers and streamlining of CLC activity’ in 2015.   After relocating from Chelmsford to London in August, the CLC’s 2015 annual report showed that it realised over £1m from the sales of its Chelmsford office and a nearby storage unit.However, there was also bad news for conveyancers today, after research by search provider SearchFlow showed that only a third of practitioners carry out electronic anti-money laundering checks for all transactions.According to SearchFlow’s conveyancing sentiment survey, 38% of conveyancers never carry out electronic identity checks to verify the customer’s identity; 29% ‘sometimes’ carry out electronic checks.The findings showed sole practitioners were most vulnerable to fraud, with 5% carrying out electronic checks compared to half of larger firms (15 or more partners).SearchFlow managing director Greg Bryce warned that money laundering schemes were ‘continually’ adapting, but that many conveyancers are ‘still merely asking to see their clients with their documentation’.He said: ‘Conveyancers are leaving themselves open to criminal activity that can seriously impact their careers and reputations.’last_img read more

Man who tried to stop Kansas shooting says he was ‘more than happy’ to risk his life to save others

first_imgNOAH SEELAM/AFP/Getty Images(OLATHE, Kan.) — A Kansas man who’s been called a hero for trying to stop a deadly shooting last week said he was “happy” to risk his life to save others and that he’s grateful for how his community has united following the incident.Ian Grillot, 24, intervened to stop a gunman who witnesses said yelled “get out of my country” before shooting two Indian men in Olathe, Kansas last Wednesday, killing one.Adam Purinton, a 51-year-old Navy veteran and former air traffic controller, is being charged with murder and attempted murder in the shooting that killed Srinivas Kuchibhotla and wounded Alok Madasani, both 32-year-old employees of the technology company Garmin.Authorities are investigating if the shooting was a hate crime. Purinton is being held on a $2 million bond and is scheduled make his first court appearance on Monday.“This is a very bad way of it happening, but, I’m so grateful that it is actually bringing the community together instead of driving them apart,” Grillot said in an interview posted on the University of Kansas Hospital’s YouTube page on Sunday. “It is such a beautiful thing. I love it.“I was more than happy to risk my life to save the lives of others,” Grillot said. “I thank everybody for drawing together and supporting me and the other families affected by this.”Grillot said he is recovering from gunshot wounds to his hand and chest. He said he was “doing a lot better,” but still sore and feeling the aftermath from “the bullet lodged in my ribs.”People traveled from as far as India and Washington, D.C. to attend a prayer vigil for Kuchibhotla and the other victims in Olathe on Sunday.Representative Kevin Yoder, R-Kan., attended the vigil and posted about it on his Instagram account, calling the incident a “great tragedy” and saying “thousands of concerned citizens came together to support one another and the Indian community.”He also urged people to remember Kuchibhotla’s life as well as Grillot’s “heroism.”Many of the vigil’s attendees, including Mike Johns of Olathe, said they were there to rally for peace.“This isn’t Selma, but this is close,” Johns told ABC affiliate KMBC on Sunday. “We’re marching, just like Dr. Martin Luther King [Jr.] did, for peace.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more