Mexico could look to UK in bribery clampdown

first_imgMexico has considered the UK’s laws on criminalising bribery as inspiration for potential new legislation as it continues efforts to reform its laws and market itself as an attractive place to do business.According to Nigel Baker, head of the Latin America department at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the UK is williing to work closely with Mexico in this area. Baker said the 2010 Bribery Act, which among other things criminalised the failure of a commercial organisation to prevent bribery, had been highlighted in Mexico as a potential inspiration for new laws.Baker was speaking at the Lex Mex conference in London today, an event focused on building closer relations between the Mexican and English legal professions.During the sessions, instances of bribery and corruption were cited as one of the main barriers that firms and businesses face when operating in the country.Although Mexico, along with other Latin American countries, has signed up to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development’s Anti-Bribery Convention, it is not known how its new president Andrés Manuel López Obrador – who assumes office in December – will propose to tackle the problem.Also today, the conference heard from Justice José Fernando Franco González-Salas a member Supreme Court of Justice of the Nation since 2006.Franco González-Salas highlighted changes in the country’s judicial system, implemented in 2016, after which the country shifted from a written inquisitorial system in criminal law to an oral adversarial system.The judge said strengthening the rule of law was an important step towards Mexico becoming a recognised democratic power and that the presumption of innocence is the ‘backbone’ to accepting the rule of law.There are now 40 federal criminal justice centres in Mexico and around 220 specialist judges in the country. Franco González-Salas went on to talk about the role that the court can play in improving lives of citizens and Mexico’s ’full regard’ for an independent judiciary.last_img read more

ONCF hosts African safety summit

first_imgAFRICA: Senior industry leaders from railways in Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Togo and Tunisia gathered in Rabat on May 15 for an 11-day training summit hosted by Moroccan national railway ONCF.The safety training summit is the fifth such event to be held in Rabat since 2013 and focuses on the specific safety issues arising on African networks. The sessions also seek to adhere to the high-level policy goals enshrined in the rail revitalisation programme endorsed by African transport ministers at a summit in Equatorial Guinea in April 2014.During the summit, a variety of training methods will be deployed to reflect the diverse set of challenges being addressed. These include theory lessons, case studies and seminars on specific themes led jointly by specialists from UIC and ONCF. There will also be a range of site visits.last_img read more

Pilots who criticized Boeing to testify before U.S. lawmakers

first_imgDaniel Carey, president of the pilots’ union at American Airlines says Boeing made mistakes in its design of the 737 Max and in not telling pilots about new flight-control software on the plane.He says those mistakes and Boeing’s desire to minimize pilot-training costs for airlines that would buy its 737 Max jet contributed to errors that led to two deadly crashes, including one in Ethiopia in March.Carey is scheduled to testify Wednesday before a House subcommittee that is looking into Boeing and the 737 Max airliner, which remains grounded after accidents that killed 346 people.The comments underscore the challenges that Boeing still faces in winning the confidence of pilots that the Max can be made safe. Those pilots, in turn, are key to convincing reluctant passengers to fly on the plane.“That bond between the passenger and the pilot is one that is critical,” Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said during an investor presentation in April.Pilots had complained to Boeing for not telling them about flight software called MCAS until after the October crash of a Lion Air jet in Indonesia. That same software was implicated in a second crash five months later of an Ethiopian Airlines jet.Although some safety advocates called for grounding the Max after the Lion Air crash, pilot unions at American, Southwest and United stood by the safety of the plane once they were made aware of the software. But then Boeing later admitted a cockpit alert that can tell pilots if the sensors that trigger MCAS are faulty did not work — and the company knew for more than a year before telling the Federal Aviation Administration or the airlines.That omission outraged some pilots. An American Airlines pilot, Jason Goldberg, said the alert was “one of the things that made us confident initially to make the statement that we were happy to continue to fly the aircraft. It turned out later that that wasn’t true.”The acting FAA chief, Daniel Elwell, joined the criticism of Boeing’s long silence about the nonworking alert. The warning light was not part of MCAS, and it is not clear that it would have prevented either crash, but the incident raised more doubts about Boeing’s candor.In his testimony Wednesday, Carey will draw attention to MCAS, which was designed to make the Max feel like previous 737 models to pilots despite engines that were larger and placed more forward on the wings and changed the plane’s aerodynamics.“This was a fatal design flaw built into the aircraft at the factory,” Carey said in an interview.Boeing engineers have finished making changes to the software and expect to soon demonstrate its work to government safety officials in hopes that the FAA will certify the plane as safe, three months after it was grounded around the world.Carey is concerned that pilot training on the updated MCAS system may not be comprehensive enough. He also upbraided those who believe the crashes could not have happened in the United States, calling that notion presumptuous and disrespectful to foreign pilots.Carey and former pilot Chesley Sullenberger also question the FAA’s independence from Boeing and other companies it regulates. Sullenberger wrote in March that the relationship was too cozy, and he particularly criticized an FAA program that relies on industry employees to perform some safety tests and inspections.Sullenberger is the former captain who safely landed a disabled jetliner on the Hudson River in 2009. He is also expected to testify.Sullenberger has said in the past that Boeing was more focused on protecting its product, the Max, than protecting the people who use it.Wednesday’s event will be the third congressional hearing into the Max. The previous two have focused on FAA oversight of Boeing, and whether it has been tough enough.No one from Boeing was scheduled to testify. In a statement, spokesman Peter Pedraza said Boeing was providing information to regulators, airlines and pilots “to re-earn their trust and know we must be more transparent going forward.”During this week’s Paris Air Show, Muilenburg expressed confidence that regulators around the world will clear the Max to fly again sometime later this year.Muilenburg said that restoring trust in the Max was Boeing’s top priority. “We will take the time necessary” to ensure that the plane is safe, he said.Related Ethiopia releases international pilots and planes Boeing, FAA face more pressure from U.S. lawmakers over 737 MAX accidentscenter_img Ethiopia issues first Boeing investigation report: Pilots followed procedurelast_img read more

Lee extends State of Emergency until August 29, 2020

first_imgNASHVILLE, TN (WLAF) – Senator Ken Yager informs WLAF News that Governor Bill Lee today signed Executive Order No. 50 to extend the State of Emergency related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic to August 29, 2020. The order allows the continued suspension of various laws and regulations and other measures in these orders to facilitate the treatment and containment of COVID-19 through regulatory flexibility, promoting social distancing and avoidance of large gatherings, and protecting vulnerable populations.  (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 06/29/2020-3:15PM)Share this:FacebookTwitterlast_img

DreamHack announces CS:GO tournament series

first_imgShare BetInvest: The benefits of separating esports betting markets August 7, 2020 ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual  August 20, 2020 Share Related Articles Submit DreamHack has announced two $250,000 (£171,634) CounterStrike: Global Offensive tournaments for 2016. These will be known as DreamHack Masters tournaments.Tomas Lyckedal, DreamHackThis brings the current total prize pool of DreamHack CS:GO tournaments to $1m (£686,539) for 2016.Tomas Lyckedal, Business Development Director at DreamHack stated: “We are extremely proud to introduce DreamHack Masters in Malmö, to offer both Swedish and Danish fans the first dedicated stadium experience for CS:GO.”“We’re looking to beat the production quality of DreamHack Open Cluj-Napoca, which was our most successful CS:GO event ever.”The initial DreamHack Masters event, which will feature 16 of the world’s top teams, will take place April 16-17 in the 15,500-seater Malmö Arena.This report is courtesy of MCVUK.com. Winning Post: UK racing must put its best foot forward … July 20, 2020 StumbleUponlast_img read more