Report: Bristol Flyers 67-102 Newcastle Eagles

first_imgEagles got off the mark early going on a nine to three tun to start the first opening the scoring with a close bank shot inside, a short hook shot in the paint and a three-pointer. In danger of giving up an early lead, Flyers retaliated with a barrage of three-pointers of their own, one from Mike Vigor and two Grege Street respectively. The Bristol charge was capped off with a Boggs two handed power dunk, as the SGS Arena erupted.Flyers were adamant to keep the contest close but Newcastle’s Rahmon Fletcher gave the visitor’s the early lead with 12 points on 57% shooting for the first quarter. Fletcher was matched by Hameed Ali and Boggs, both with six points on 100% shooting for the quarter. Then back-to-back baskets from Leslie Smith closed the gap, a tip-in off a Flyer’s miss and a jump-shot from the wing with the Eagles’ defence draped all over him. In a tightly contested opening period the Flyers trailed by four points.Newcastle opened the second flexing their offensive talent, with a quick five point spurt from Fab Flournoy and Darius Defoe. Bristol pushed back as Andrew Hambleton cut the defence on a dribble drive and dish for Streete, who converted on another three ball. However for every Flyer flurry, Eagles responded by pushing the ball quickly up the court attacking early in the shot clock. Bristol failed to consistently get back defensively in transition, giving up easy baskets. Newcastle cooled off offensively but kept on the boards and secured second chance opportunities, helping to add to their advantage.Flyers stepped it up defensively, coming up with a couple of turnovers and they capitalised on this. Boggs impressed the home crowd flushing down an alley-oop, bringing Bristol within three points. With two minutes left in the half, the visitors stepped it up, going on a eight point run to close the period. Eagles pushed the break and attacked the basket for high percentage shots, finishing the half with 30 points in the paint. Flyers went into the break behind 41-54.Bristol came back into the contest looking to move the ball and stretch the defence, Eagles had other plans. Stripping the ball, Newcastle charged up court for a converted transition three-pointer. Bristol locked down defensively seeing two blocked shots, one from Daniel Edozie and one emphatic rejection from Greg Street. But Eagles were persistent in their pursuit for points as they pushed their lead to 16 points mid-way through the third quarter, emphasised by a Flether converted And-1. Despite an energetic put-back dunk from Edozie, Newcastle carried their 58-77 lead into the final period.The onslaught continued into the fourth quarter as Eagles opened with a Defoe two-pointer and an open Fletcher converted three. Flyers failed to connect on the following possessions and Eagles applied pressure even further, with two straight scores from Drew Lasker. Ali found the ball on a turnover for another impressive assist on a Boggs alley-oop jam. Two points for the home team was just a drop in the ocean of a now 30 point lead. The visitors weren’t done looking to make a statement. The rout concluded Flyers 67-102.Subway player of the game – Hameed Ali.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *