ISL: Atletico de Kolkata beat Mumbai City FC 3-2 on aggregate to qualify for final

first_imgTen-man Atletico de Kolkata (ATK) showed grit of the highest order to see off Mumbai City FC in a 0-0 draw in the semi-final second leg and sail into the Indian Super League (ISL) final with a 3-2 aggregate victory in the tie here on Tuesday.ATK led Mumbai 3-2 from the first offing in Kolkata and needed just a draw to edge out their rivals, who despite topping the league table bowed out of the competition after reaching the knockout stages for the first time.This is the second time the inaugural champions ATK reached the final of the tournament, a first under coach Jose Molina who took over the reins from Antonio Habas this season. Habas led ATK to their first title in 2014. (Also read: India can be really good in football: Quinton Fortune to India Today)ATK will now take on either Kerala Blasters or Delhi Dynamos who play in the second leg of the other semi-final on Wednesday.In the contest at the Mumbai Football Arena, it took seven minutes for the hosts to get a look in but India captain Sunil Chhetri was guilty of spurning a one-on-one chance with an onrushing goalkeeper Debjit Mazumder keeping the Bengaluru FC forward at bay.ATK’s first real opportunity came near the half-hour mark when Javi Lara found Abhinash Ruidas with acres of space with the winger’s cross finding Juan Belencoso inside the area. Mumbai goalkeeper Amrinder Singh sneaked in to punch the ball away but not out of danger as a lurking Lalrindika Ralte – who replaced Bidyananda Singh in the 14th minute – took a swipe at goal only for Lalhmangaihsanga Ralte to effect an important block.advertisementThe match was characterised by frayed tempers which was not unexpected with so much at stake in the second leg. But things reached boiling point when Robert Lalthlamuana picked up his second yellow card near half-time to trudge down the tunnel and leave the visitors to fend with ten men. (Also read: ISL: Kerala Blasters beat Delhi Dynamos in semi-final first leg)Lalthlamuana was guilty of fouling Matias Defederico for the red before picking up his first booking in the 34th minute.Molina ringed in a tactical change in a bid to bottle up their rivals who needed to score in order to harbour any hopes of turning the tables on ATK. Full-back Keegan Pereira came in place of winger Ruidas.ATK had a chance to strengthen their hold on the game when Belencoso had a chance of converting a good-looking Lara cross across the face of goal but failed to get anything on it.Stephen Pearson also skewed a gilt-edged chance over the bar on the volley.With two minutes remaining to the final whistle, Lucian Goian failed to connect from close first followed by a swinging volley which was saved by Debjit.Chhetri also had a chance to put the ball behind the net from a header but failed in his attempt as the hosts walked away frustrated.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *