Major fire in Chitpur garment warehouse no casualties

first_imgKolkata: A major fire broke out at a garment warehouse in the Lock Gate area of Chitpur on Saturday morning leading to the destruction of some goods which were stored there. No casualty or injuries have been reported.”The fire took place at around 8.10 am. We haven’t received any report of casualties. The fire was brought under control by 10.30 am. As many as 15 fire tenders were pressed into action. The cooling operations lasted till late afternoon. Fire tenders were rushed to the spot in phases to control the flames,” a fire service official said. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseFifteen fire tenders swung into action to douse the flame. They initially tried to prevent any further spread of fire to adjacent establishments. There had been a possibility of fire being spread to other buildings as the area is congested. The local residents spotted dark smoke billowing out of the top floor of a multi-storeyed building and immediately informed the matter to the fire brigade. The fire personnel faced difficulties to identify the source as thick cloud of smoke covered the entire area. Panic broke out among the people who were inside the other go-downs and shops housed on different floors of the building. They soon left the other go-downs, shops and rushed downstairs. Some locals however, tried to douse the flames but failed to make any headway. According to the fire brigade officials, the owners of the garment warehouse had possibly stocked some items to be supplied to stores. They are yet to determine if there were any other inflammable materials piled up inside the room. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata”We were in fear that if the fire spreads to the adjacent buildings, it could prove devastating. A prompt action taken by the fire personnel checked the intensity of the incident. Firefighters had a tough time bringing in the fire tenders and other equipment inside the congested area,” said septuagenarian Bijoy Das who is a local resident. The reason for the fire is not yet known. According to the preliminary investigation, fire officials suspect that an electrical short circuit might have triggered it. They also suspect that there was no proper fire fighting system in the building. A specific complaint has been lodged at the local police station and a probe is on.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *